Main Functions: The Research Assistant will lead PILS’ community research efforts under the responsibility of the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator. S/he will more particularly assist in PILS studies and other research activities.
The selected candidate will undertake research and evaluation activities that provide PILS with the evidence required for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of policies or community-based activities. He/She will assist in the planning, designing, coordination and supervision of studies and any other research activities undertaken by PILS as well as the research study protocol and the establishment of operating policies and procedures if any.
The chosen candidate will conduct and or support in the processes listed below.
· Identify community research needs and develop new methods of research and reporting
· Draft research specifications, project requirements, objectives, research reference terms and and develop TORS to conduct relevant studies
· Prepare research ethics committee applications
· Use a variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods
· Write and edit draft questionnaires. Coordinate the collection of research data. Interview members of the public as required by the studies. Compile, analyze and synthesize these information into presentations for the understanding of one and all
· Implement quality control process throughout the conduct of the studies.
· During studies, ensure the smooth and efficient day-to-day operation of research and data collection activities.
· Coordinate the day-to-day activities of any technical support staff specifically engaged in the process of carrying out research studies
· Monitor the progress of research activities; develop and maintain records of research activities, and prepare periodic, progress and ad hoc reports as well as articles and policy papers, as required by internal or external parties.
· Liaise with stakeholders and partners
· Plan and coordinate regular technical committee meetings.
· Assist in providing the technical and capacity building support in research to partners.
· Assist in the recruitment, instruction and coordination of research subjects and/or volunteers, as appropriate to specific study objectives and work scope.
· Ensure that agreed project deadlines are always met
· Keep up to date with research/policy developments
· Master’s or bachelor degree in public health, behavioral sciences, social sciences, population studies/demography, or any related field.
· Proven relevant experience in the successful implementation and management of HIV and AIDS research projects and/or others.
· An equivalent combination of education and professional experience will also be considered.
· Experience in design, implementation, and analysis of quantitative and qualitative research studies; experience in hiring, training, and managing research staff for large community-based studies.
· Proficiency in MS Office with solid skills in Excel
· Strong and excellent skills in statistical software like SPSS, STATA and/or others
· Good communication and written skills in English and French. Oral communication in Creole is a must
· Excellent diplomatic, representational, problem solving, management, and interpersonal skills.
· Highly developed qualitative and quantitative research skills
· Strong analytical skills, and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to summarize and communicate research findings for diverse audiences
· Ability to work independently and to collaborate with senior staff, colleagues, donors, partner organizations, stakeholders, local institutions, and others at all levels.
· Knowledge, interest in and commitment to the HIV/AIDS and Human Rights issues Performing background research (qualitative and quantitative) on project activities
· Teamwork – excellent interpersonal, organizational and management skills and ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams
· Good understanding of the HIV epidemic in Mauritius.
· Ability to operate effectively in a changing and complex environment, and to produce results
· Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
· Remain calm, in control and relatively good humored even under pressure.
· Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Please send your detailed CV and motivation letter on email@example.com by 2nd of May 2022
PILS has a zero-discrimination policy towards key populations and people living with HIV. We are an inclusive NGO and do not tolerate discrimination against gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, marital status or pregnancy. Harassment in any forms towards any staff, volunteers, partners, community members, service providers or funders will not be tolerated by PILS.