Job opportunity: Community Health and Research Manager
|Job description:||Community Health and Research Manager|
|Reports to:||Executive Director|
|Responsible for:||Outreach Coordinator, TAPAJ, Low Threshold Centre & Social Support Services Coordinator, Nursing Coordinator, Programme & Research Coordinator, Programme Officer|
|Main Functions:||The Community Health Manager will be responsible for managing all PILS’ community health activities and research, comprising medical and psychosocial interventions towards persons living with HIV through the STI clinic, the low threshold centre and outreach interventions including caravan towards Key Affected Populations in Mauritius (People Living with HIV, People Who Use Drugs, Men having Sex with Men, Transgender, Commercial Sex Workers)|
- Programme Management
- Manage the Community Services Department through devising strategies, training material, procedures & work processes while using a community approach
- Ensure the implementation of the relevant services and interventions towards Key Affected Populations (KAPs) in line with national epidemiological data, National Strategic Plan for HIV & AIDS and PILS strategic plan
- Ensure the implementation of programs targeting KAPs as per the annual action plan, using formal processes such as planning, weekly patients meeting, weekly team meeting, and informal ones such as regular seeking of inputs from appropriate staff, colleagues and stakeholders
- Collaborate with other organisations to manage common activities and to ensure complementarity of services delivered to KAPs and proper referral
- In collaboration with the community and the teams, set up innovative initiatives in line with PILS’ strategic plan to increase services uptake
- Liaise with the AIDS Unit and other departments of the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life to improve collaboration on common and/or complementary activities, especially as regards to persons lost to follow-up.
- Lead the elaboration and implementation of a proper referral process, in collaboration with partner organisations
- Set up the Research unit of PILS through the recruitment of a Programme & Research Coordinator
- In collaboration with the Programme & Research Coordinator, devise strategies, procedures & work processes for the research unit
- Capacity Development & Team Planning
- Support and line-manage the day-to-day work of the team through formal organizational procedures and informal good management practice, based on the needs of team members
- In collaboration with the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, ensure that programs’ outcomes are relevant, measurable and in line with monitoring and evaluation standards; contribute meaningfully to yearly evaluations initiatives of the Department’s activities
- Lead the production of the department’s budget, workplan and M&E plan as per PILS’ procedures
- Manage the department’s budget through the approval of the relevant expenditure incurred, and ensuring smooth processes with the finance and admin units
- Lead the capacity assessment & development plan of the department’s staff members
- Coach direct reports to ensure their growth in their positions so that they lead their projects successfully
- Actively support and encourage department’s staff members and participate to their capacity development and skills reinforcement
- Lead the annual performance appraisal of staff members, and support direct reports in the appraisals of their teams
- Ensure the sharing and use of programme knowledge and strategic information.
- As a member of the Management Committee, ensure the successful implementation of the developed strategies of PILS strategic orientations through a quarterly meeting to review progress made.
- In the absence of the Executive Director, ensure proper operation of PILS with other members of the Management Committee
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Management Committee, ensure complementarity between PILS’ activities and other programs being implemented at local and regional level.
- Liaise with PILS’ staff, committees and the executive committee through regular participation at working sessions, management meetings and other relevant fora.
- Contribute to project writing exercises to ensure department’s program funding
- Approve & coordinate when necessary relevant proposals of partnerships or participation in events
- Representation & networking
- Contribute to design frameworks for effective collaboration between PILS and its partners
- Participate, as required, in funder meetings and other training fora.
- Identify and build strong alliances with potential partners from all sectors
- Establish, maintain and strengthen effective relationships between PILS implementing partners.
|Job description:||Community Health & Research Manager|
- Masters’ degree in social sciences, public health or development field (or equivalent) and at least 3 years of management experience in project management in the social/development sector or Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, public health or development field (or equivalent) and at least 5 years of progressively responsible management experience in project management in the social/development sector.
- Full grasp of epidemiology and biostatistics as related to public health and HIV/AIDS
- Track record of being self-directed, persistent, and data-driven
- At least 5 years’ relevant HIV/AIDS or related health field management experience related to Key Affected Populations at a national level.
- Experience of managing human and financial resources.
- Strong analytical and planning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to HIV/AIDS, community and health systems strengthening.
- Experience of working in countries with concentrated HIV epidemics, including knowledge of working with Key Affected Populations.
- Fluent in Creole, French and English
- Excellent IT skills
- Good understanding of the HIV epidemic in Mauritius & the Indian Ocean region
- Experience of managing Key Affected Populations Programs (People Living with HIV, People Who Use Drugs, Men having Sex with Men, Transgender, Commercial Sex Workers) in small island developing states
- Driving License
Please send your detailed CV and motivation letter on email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org by the 3rd of June 2019.
PILS has a zero-discrimination policy towards key populations and people living with HIV. We are an inclusive NGO and do not tolerate discrimination against gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, marital status or pregnancy. Harassment in any forms towards any staff, volunteers, partners, community members, service providers or funders will not be tolerated by PILS.