Short term opportunity : Local Consultant
Consultancy to support PILS for its strategic development
- Background information
PILS is an NGO that exists for more than 21 years and is solely dedicated to the fight against HIV & AIDS and viral hepatitis on a national and regional basis. PILS’ Strategic Plan 2014-2018 is a key document that describes the HIV situation and outlines the response of PILS to the epidemic in the country. It builds on the achievements and lessons learnt from the implementation of the previous strategic plan, clearly states the goals and strategic objectives in line with national priorities.
In 2014, an exercise of strategic planning for the association was performed. The 2014 objectives for the strategic development of PILS were:
- Organisational Strengthening and Positioning as Key Civil Society Organisation in the National and Regional HIV Response
- Reduce HIV, STI and Hepatitis Vulnerabilities by Strengthening and Facilitating Access to gender-sensitive Integrated Healthcare Services
- Promote Greater Involvement of Key Affected Populations and Meaningful Engagement of Civil Society
- Promote Rights-Based Approach and Creating an Enabling Environment
PILS needs to review the progress achieved in relation to the 2014 recommendations and review its objectives, refocus its mandate, and think, together with the stakeholders involved, of its strategic orientations for the next three years.
PILS is a member of Coalition Internationale Sida (Coalition PLUS) and is the Principal Recipient for civil society under the Global Fund to fight AIDS Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- Objectives of the consultancy:
Overall objective: Develop the new strategic Plan 2018-2020 for PILS.
- The consultant will have to coordinate a self-evaluation of PILS’ response to the 2014 recommendations for its strategic development.
- Develop an analysis of the values, goals and mission of PILS in the context of Mauritius to determine a long-term strategic orientation for PILS.
- Determine a clear road map of how to attain the strategic objectives and how to measure progress being made.
- This consultancy also aims at strategically repositioning PILS’ different sectors of intervention.
- Deliverables expected
At the term of the consultancy, the consultant will submit a document describing the following:
- Self-evaluation of PILS response after the recommendations of 2014 including a section detailing the external view of the consultant
- 3-year strategic plan and recommendations for the strategic development of PILS
- A forecast budgeted 3-year operational plan per strategic objective including Key Performance Indicators.
- A proposed revision of the organisational chart.
- Conditions of consultancy
Duration of work: This consultancy will last between 15 to 30 working days, and include the organization of a one-day workshop to present the draft report.
Management of consultancy: The consultant will act as a facilitator, working in close collaboration with PILS’ executive committee, staff, volunteers and beneficiaries while using a recognized strategic planning methodology to reach the aims of the consultancy.
Requirements for consultant/firm
Any individual or firm which is interested in this call for proposals is requested to submit the following documents:
- a description of the methodology proposed
- the CV of the person(s) proposed for this activity and a personal motivation letter, including the daily fees requested
- a detailed action plan including proposed number of working days in Mauritius
- contact details of 3 referees with which the consultant has conduct similar exercises
Timeframe: the consultancy should ideally start at the beginning of May 2018, with a submission of the draft strategic plan before the 20th June 2018.
Profile of applicants: qualification and competencies
- Masters in social sciences, public health, development, or relevant field experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of HIV programmes or related fields.
- Proven experience and knowledge of the international, regional and local context of HIV as well as particular international institutions and funding mechanisms.
- Proven writing and analytical abilities.
- Proven experience in developing and drafting strategic frameworks;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Proficiency in spoken French and Mauritian kreol is essential.
Applications should be sent only by email to email@example.com by the 23rd of April 2018.