Call for Proposal: Medical Consultant – Community Health Services
1. Background information
PILS is an NGO that exists for 20 years and is solely dedicated to the fight against HIV & AIDS on a national and regional basis. In 2016, a revision of the strategic plan of PILS 2014-2018 indicates the need of improving and developing partnership with, people affected by HIV/STI/Viral Hepatitis, institutions fighting against HIV and civil society, Community Health Services so as to be able to facilitate access to screening, treatment care and support, balance and monitoring the health of people living with the HIV/STI/viral hepatitis and key populations that are most exposed.
With the emergence of the outreach HIV testing since 2016 in Mauritius, the non-health workers such as peer educators, can now offer HIV rapid testing to their communities and individuals with greater risk of infection to HIV/STI/viral hepatitis; which offers more interesting development prospects to the country.
PILS already has an infirmary, offering tests for HIV, hepatitis and STIs such as syphilis and provides primary care services especially for people who inject drugs. The association now wants, with the collaboration of the concerned population and its partners, to implement high-impact activities related to HIV/Hepatitis/STI epidemic. Indeed, the services delivered by the Ministry of Health are struggling to adapt to the real needs of people living with HIV.
2. Objectives of the consultancy:
Support the Committee of PILS in the implementation and development of community health services for people living with HIV/STI/viral hepatitis and individuals from key affected populations (KAPs) through the following specific objectives:
1. Support the management committee and the advocacy team to lobby with the ministry of health and quality of life as regards community health projects of PILS and its partners
2. Support the Programme Manager in the implementation of the health system carried out by PILS, its partners and the community concerned, to give a better access to health care services to Key Affected Populations (i.e., screening, Medical and psychosocial assessment and follow-up).
3. Assist the Capacity Building and Training Teams in the development of Community Health (Health Care and Medical Services) trainings for people/actors who fight against HIV and to contribute in the strengthening of capacities of PILS’ Medical Team.
4. Collaborate with PILS’ teams to elaborate a reference document on the treatment, care and support of PLWH followed-up by the Community Health Services.
3. Deliverables expected
At the term of the consultancy, the consultant will submit a reference document on the treatment, care and support of PLWH followed-up by the Community Health Services.
4. Conditions of the consultancy
Duration of work: This short term contract will last one year
Management of consultancy: The consultant will act as a facilitator, working in close collaboration with PILS’ executive committee, staff, volunteers and beneficiaries while using a recognized strategic planning methodology to reach the aims of the consultancy.
Requirements for consultant/firm:
Any individual or firm which is interested in this call for proposals is requested to submit the following documents:
● The CV of the person(s) proposed for this activity
● A personal motivation letter, including the monthly fees requested
Profile of applicants: qualification and competencies
• Degree in Medical Sciences, public health, nursing or related area. Medical degree will be an advantage.
• Experience in community health care
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of HIV programmes or related fields.
• Proven writing and analytical abilities.
• Proven experience in developing and drafting results based strategic frameworks;
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
• Ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
• Excellent knowledge of HIV related issues, experience of working with governments and NGOs would be a definite advantage
• Proficiency in spoken French and Kreol is essential.
Applications should be sent to:
The Director of PILS
3rd Floor, Labourdonnais Court,
47, St Georges Street, Port-Louis, Mauritius or by email to email@example.com by the 24th May 2016.